Here at Morning View Retreat we love hummingbirds! Ever since our children were young we've had feeders all along our back porch so that when we were eating dinner or washing dishes we could look out and see them fluttering along.
We wanted all of our guests to have the experience of seeing them too, so each cabin comes with a hummingbird feeder, and the guests just love it. So without further ado.10 interesting facts about hummingbirds...
1. Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly both backwards and forwards. They can also fly upside down, hover in mid air and fly sideways.
2. Hummingbirds cannot walk or hop. They have changed over time so that their flying becomes more efficent
3, The average ruby-throated hummingbird weighs less than a nickel
4. A hummingbird must consume half of it's weight in sugar daily, which means they have to eat around 5-8 times an hour
5. The average lifespan of a hummingbird is 3-12 years. The range is so big, because of the many threats to hummingbirds
6. Hummingbirds do not suck nectars with their long beaks, they actually lick the nectar with their fringed tongues.
7. Hummingbirds are not found outside of the western hemisphere
8. An average hummingbirds wings flap 50-200 beats per second depending on the action the must make
9, Some hummingbirds migrate very long distances. The Rufuos hummingbird migrates from Alaska to Mexico. That's over 3,000 miles twice a year!
10. The Ruby-throated hummingbird is the the hummingbird known to nest in breed right here in Arkansas.