Here at Morning View Retreat we are a big fan of campfires. Not just because it keeps you warm, but because it brings people together, puts you in the great outdoors, and it's just plain fun. We are pretty sure that a campfire doesn't come complete without a s'more, so we rustled up some interesting facts we thought you might like about our favourite treat
1. The first record of a smore is in the Girl Scouts handbook, Tramping and Trailing, and goes all the way back to 1927!
2. The snack was originally called "some mores". Here at Morning View we are big advocates of some more because it's hard to stop at one!
3. Apparently s'mores are consumed more in Grand Rapids, Michigan than any other place in the U.S.
4. The largest s'more was recently built at Deer Run Camping Resort in Gardeners Pensylvania. This s'more weighed in at 267 pounds!
5. The graham cracker was invented by a presbyterian minister Sylvester Graham in 1829 in Bound Brook, New Jersey. Graham originally invented the health food as part of a diet to help suppress "unhealthy carnal urges" And here we were thinking we were just eating a sweet snack....
6. The Hershey Bar was invented in 1900. Each section of the hershey bar is called a pip. Six pips are used to make the traditional smore.
7. Americans buy 90 million pounds of marshmallow each year
8. It is estimated that 50 percent of marshmallows bought during the summer are used for s'mores.
9. There is a National S'mores Day. It's celebrated August 10!
10. When making a s'more try something extra, add a slice of banana, strawberry, raspberry jam, peanut butter cup, or marashino cherry to the mix of your s'more and enjoy a whole new creation!
We are always ready for a campfire here at Morning View, and look forward to seeing you out there! We'll bring the marshmallows. :)